I am an active participant in the free and open source software community. Some things I’ve done for the community include:
- Clients/projects I’ve acted for in a professional capacity include:
Projects: PovRay (wrote distribution licence and, in particular, wording permitting inclusion in open source distributions), Fujistu Powered PostgreSQL (advised on Fujitsu participation), LAMS Project, GPL v 3 Drafting (advice on aspects of Australian law), release of NetEpi (I am told this was the first open source release by Australian Goverment), Wedgetail
Clients: Australian Digital Alliance, NSW Department of Commerce (drafted changes to ProcureIT terms for Open Source Tender and other advice on open source), NEHTA, Linux Australia, SAGE-AU, Open Source Victoria, Health OpenWare Foundation, OK Labs,
- founding member, director of Open Source Industry Australia Limited. I am not paid for my work as a director of OSIA. I estimate this involves several weeks of time each a year. This time has been spent on things like: reviewing and commenting on the AUSFTA – I have appeared before a House of Representatives Committee to give evidence on the impacts of the copyright provisions on the open source industry; making a submission to the Attorney General’s department on the amendments to the Copyright Act in late 2006, appearing before a senate committee to speak on these issues (also in 2006); drafting a submission to Standards Australia on its OOXML vote and attending at a half day conference held by Standards Australia when considering its Australia’s vote on the issue. I have also run a survey of Australian Federal Parties’ attitudes to open source in the 2004 and 2007 elections (results available from http://www.osia.net.au) .
- OSIA submission to Federal Government Innovation Review (2008)
- OSIA submission to Federal Government IT review (2008)
- pro bono advice to Computer Bank NSW (up to… 2005?)
- paper against software patents (1993);
- various papers on groklaw, my website (www.opensourcelaw.biz), miscellaneous other sites;
- a Copyright and Patents FAQ (partly funded by OSV – get a load of the URL):
- presented various papers from time to time.